Caring For Your Ring
While diamonds and precious metals are not easily damaged, they do need frequent care. Regular cleaning and “check ups” will keep your ring looking pristine throughout your life.
Here are a few simple habits that will help avoid deterioration:
Step 1: Prevent damage
- Pick up your ring from the band, not the centre stone. This keeps your setting from becoming loose. And when you avoid touching the stone, you’ll protect it from the build up that comes from our skin’s natural oils.
- Store your ring separate from other jewellery. This prevents damage to or by other items.
- Avoid wearing your ring during physical activity. When you wear your ring while exercising or during competitive sports, you risk damage.
- Remove your ring before coming into contact with household cleaning products (bleach, furniture polish, etc) or abrasive liquids (hair dye or paint).
Step 2: Clean your ring
Rings can collect build-up from showering, hand wash, and common cosmetics such as moisturizers, makeup or perfume. Dirt and oil are also picked up during daily wear. We also recommend removing your ring before swimming or using spas.
It’s best to have your ring cleaned by a professional every year. Once a year, we recommend that you send it back to us for a complimentary clean, polish and inspection.
How to clean your ring at home:
Cleaning your ring at home is simple:
- With a small drop of washing up liquid, gently scrub your ring with a soft clean toothbrush.
- Rinse your ring under warm water and gently scrub again to remove any soap residue.
- Dry with a microfibre cloth.
Ideally, clean your ring at home every month and have it professionally cleaned annually.