How to look after your engagement ring
While diamonds, gemstones and precious metals are not easily damaged, they do require care and maintenance especially as they’re worn every day. Regular cleaning and “check ups” will keep your ring looking pristine throughout its lifetime.
Here are a few simple habits that will help keep your ring in great condition:
- Pick up your ring from the band, not the centre stone. This keeps your setting from becoming loose. And when you avoid touching the stone, you’ll protect it from the build up that comes from our skin’s natural oils.
- Store your ring separate from other jewellery. This prevents damage to or by other items.
- Avoid wearing your ring during physical activity. When you wear your ring while exercising or playing sports, you risk damage.
- Remove your ring before coming into contact with household cleaning products (bleach, furniture polish etc.) or abrasive liquids (hair dye, paint etc.)
Keep your ring clean
Rings can collect build-up from shower gel, hand wash, and common cosmetics such as moisturisers, makeup or perfume. Dirt and oil are also picked up during daily wear. We also recommend removing your ring before swimming or using spas.
How to clean your ring at home
Cleaning your ring at home is simple:
- Gently scrub your ring with a clean, soft bristle toothbrush. For diamond rings, you may use a small drop of washing up liquid.
- Rinse your ring under warm water and gently scrub again to remove any further residue.
- Dry with a microfibre cloth.
Ideally, try to clean your ring at home every month. We recommend having your ring professionally cleaned every year so we invite you to send your ring back to us for a complimentary clean, polish and inspection annually.